- Further information: The writer should identify the criteria in the introduction to his or her essay.
- Further information: The writer's thesis should be in the introduction, though there's a chance that it appears (incorrectly) at the end of the essay instead. The thesis should take a position on whether the essay being evaluated meets the criteria for good argumentative writing and offer at least 2-3 reasons why.
- Further information: If there are three reasons listed in the thesis, the body paragraphs of the essay should address each of these reasons in turn. Signal phrases and transitions between body paragraphs, as well as clear topic sentences at the start of each paragraph, also help to organize the essay's argument.
- Further information: The writer needs to cite examples as evidence in support of the stated claims. Direct quotes or references to particular aspects of the essay are best.
- Further information: As the phrasing of the question suggests, the writer should not enter the debate or pass judgement on the topic (i.e. mandatory motorcycle helmet law or whether Time Warner is "the leading cultural polluter"), but he or she should instead evaluate how well the author argues for his or her position.
- Further information: Remember to keep in mind our list of criteria for good argumentative writing and the rankings we decided upon in class as you write your response to this question.
Может быть, он что-нибудь поджег. Она посмотрела на вентиляционный люк и принюхалась. Но запах шел не оттуда, его источник находился где-то поблизости. Сьюзан посмотрела на решетчатую дверь, ведущую в кухню, и в тот же миг поняла, что означает этот запах.